New Hints That Dark Matter Exists

Level 1 Level 2
İngilizce Öğren LingoVivo News

The cosmos, as perceivable through stars, planets, and galaxies, constitutes a mere 5% of the universe's composition. The remaining 95% encompasses enigmatic elements—dark matter and dark energy—that elude direct observation. Scientists, armed with cutting-edge instruments, aim to unveil their mysteries by detecting sub-atomic particles associated with these elusive entities.

A significant breakthrough emerges from the International Space Station (ISS), equipped with a highly sensitive instrument operational since 2011. This apparatus meticulously examined 41 billion cosmic rays in pursuit of "neutralinos," hypothesized particles linked to dark matter. Characterized by their non-reactivity with light and other matter, confirming their existence hinges on collisions that release detectable particles.

The analysis of fluctuations in the electron-positron ratio on the ISS suggests the plausible presence of dark matter. Further corroboration may surface from the Large Hadron Collider, a colossal subterranean particle accelerator, poised to recommence operations following an extensive upgrade, promising deeper insights into the realm of dark matter.


1- What constitutes only 5% of the observable universe?

2- What is the purpose of the tool on the International Space Station?

3- What might provide further confirmation of the presence of dark matter?


You have completed the comprehension questions. 

Parts of this lesson are based on: An article Voice of America..